The International Ethics Standards (IES) Coalition, is working to create the first international ethics standards for land, real estate, construction and infrastructure. The standards are scheduled to be published worldwide during 2016.
The built environment affects us all – the real estate and construction sector is one of the biggest industries worldwide and it’s essential to stimulate fresh thinking about the role ethics plays in the future. As such, they are asking students and young professionals to help us answer some big questions about the role ethics plays in business and how you think ethics should shape the land, real estate, construction and infrastructure sectors in the future.
To enter the competition
please answer one or more of the following questions in not more than 100 words (per question):
1. Why are ethics important to the future of land, real estate, construction, infrastructure and related professions?
2. In your opinion, can business management meet its responsibilities to shareholders, customers, employees and society as a whole at the same time?
3. Do you believe there is an inherent relationship between successful business and ethical conduct? Why?
4. In terms of ethics, how should the next generation of business students shape how business is conducted?
5. How far does the image and the behaviour of a company with respect to ethics and social responsibility affect your choice of a land, real estate, construction and infrastructure employer? Would you rather choose an ethical company – even if they pay less – and why?
How does it work?
Participants should answer one or more of these questions in no more than 100 words (per question). We are looking for short, thought-provoking answers.
To enter, submit your answers on the submission form or record them by video and email us a link to the film (if you do this, the word count still applies). All entries (both written and video) must be clearly labelled with your name, college/university/employer, home country and e-mail address together with a head and shoulders photo and submitted by Monday 29th February, 2016.
Full competition information can be found here.
About the IES Coalition
The International Ethics Standards (IES) Coalition is a fast-growing group of over 60 global professional bodies spanning land, real estate, construction and infrastructure and have recently launched a global ethics competition.
Peter Bolton King FRICS who is the RICS’ Global Property Standards Director and also the Chair of the IES said:-
“The IES Coalition’s ‘Communicating Ethics’ competition aims to capture thought-provoking ideas from young people to help stimulate fresh thinking about the role ethics can play in the future of real estate and related professions.
Built environment students and young professionals are being asked to consider the relationship between successful business and ethical conduct and how ethical values can be placed at the heart of businesses in these sectors.
This is an exciting competition and we want to capture the ideas and powerful messages of young people and produce compelling communications content that provokes even wider debate about the role that ethics plays in business.”
Peter added- “The best Communicating Ethics entries will feature in a multi-media presentation and all participants will be fully credited. The winner will receive a monetary prize of $250* prize or currency equivalent and be profiled on the IES website alongside shortlisted candidates.”
*The monetary prize is being donated by Sutton Park Estates